Welcome To Home Learning From Birth

Welcome To Home Learning From Birth

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Funny faces

I saw this gorgeous mirror at a dollar store so i thought id use it in an activity based around a favourite book "Funny Face" by Nikola Smee. It is a lovely book that talks about a story of little boy who had his ball stolen by a bear and his emotions that of course end in him playing with the bear happily. I colour photocopied the faces pages that have faces/emotions on them and laminated.
As i read the book to Tara i asked her to find the card that matched the story and then show me the face in the mirror..

Sad Face...
Cross Face...



Frightened Face...

Happy Face...


It was lovely to see her amazed by her faces and i think even adults need to look in the mirror to see what emotion they are portraying to others. It takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile!!!!





.

8 comments:

  1. Hadn't heard of this book but will definately go and seek it out and try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooooooooooooo cute! Thank for sharing your blog with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to come back and say that I read this twice because I love it - what a fun idea and how funny her faces are. I am going to definitely share this with my school

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I've been trying to come up with a lesson to help teach emotions. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. This is perfect for teaching "All About Me". My body, My senses, and my emotions. Love it! Definitely will use for September!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhh, she is such a cutie and what a great idea you had! I loved it! Now I think you should make your own picture version of that book, with all of "her" faces! What a wonderful thing that will be for you and her when she grows up! :)
    PS...I'm a follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi from Majorca, Spain.
    I was looking for ideas for my kindergarden children and you've given a very good example of how to teach emotions.
    When I was pregnant, one of my student's mum gave this cute book to me (in Catalan language). I was teaching to older kids, so the book was just a nice one to work with my boy.
    Now he's almost six and I had forgotten how good it worked when my boy was learning emotions. I was looking for ideas and crafts and your blog came to me as magic.
    This year I'll be teaching three-year-old children and I'll use this book.
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete